Many people are lured into trying various weight loss diets and products, only to soon realize that they don’t work! Some of these diets are a bit extreme and lack energy, protein, vitamins, and minerals, which are essential for your body to function properly. These diets provide rules about what you can or cannot eat.
Today is National Rid the World of Fad Diets and Gimmicks Day, which is the perfect time to shed a light on all these fad diets!
What is a fad diet?
A fad diet allows only certain foods, can eliminate foods during specific times of the day, or only focus on particular foods such as cabbage or grapefruit. Fad diets are promoted as being the best approach to losing weight with dramatic results.
You may not realize it, but many of the diets promoted by the media are fad diets… such as the low or no carbs diet, shakes diet, keto, Paleo etc.
5 Ways to Spot a Fad Diet
1. Offers a quick fix solution-Quick fixes don’t work in the long run. You gain all your weight back (plus some) once you finish the “diet”.
2. Eliminates one or more of the food groups– Eliminating foods deprives your body of certain nutrients. This also causes you to crave more.
3. Sounds too good to be true-You often hear of unrealistic outcomes such as dropping 2 pant sizes in 2 weeks…this will usually be a fad diet.
4. Draws simple conclusions from a complex study- You want to hear real facts with supporting evidence. It’s important to investigate the study and look at all the positives and negatives of it.
5. Dramatic results within short periods of time– the quick weight lost is usually water weight and is regained once you return to your regular diet.
Instead of putting yourself through the misery of fad diets,work onchanging how you think (mindset) about, food, eating and your body.
- Set realistic health guidelines for yourself.
- Focus on positive lifestyle changes. What one change can you make today?
- Incorporate exercise into your routine.
- Erase negative thoughts and begin positive self-talk “I feel great”.
Your Turn to Take Action:Have you had any Fad Diet experiences? Share in the comments below.