Are you someone that loves a juicy burger, but are interested in swapping out the beef every now and then? What better way to focus on burger alternatives than in celebration of National Hamburger Day! While the origin of National Hamburger Day is unknown, there is one thing that we all can agree on – burgers, regardless of what type, are one of the most well-known and well-liked meal choices for any gathering.
Did you know that hamburgers date back to the 19th century? This handheld favorite has always been a staple at family barbeques, but what about variations on a classic? While other types of burgers have gained popularity, many of us may struggle with ideas on how to prepare and enjoy them.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to burgers, so if you are someone who is interested in taking a new spin on the original, try making some of these at your next backyard get together.
Here are 6 different “burgers” to try for a fun variation on a classic meal:
- Turkey – Turkey is a high protein, lean meat that goes well with just about any topping you can think of. Whether it’s the basic lettuce, tomato and onion, or something a little more extravagant such as caramelized onions or avocado slices, using ground turkey can be a fun way to mix things up this summer.
- Black Bean – If you are looking to skip the meat altogether, try making a homemade black bean burger. Mix the beans with rice, quinoa or lentils to create a patty that’s fun, nutritious, and satisfying. Try topping it with other greens for an even bigger nutrient punch.
- Tuna – If you think tuna is just for salad, think again! Tuna is an excellent source of heart healthy omega-3-fatty acids, and can be very versatile when it comes to burgers. Making these patties is quick and simple, and usually only involves ingredients such as eggs, breadcrumbs, and veggies, such as celery or carrots. Top this burger with a red cabbage slaw and lemon vinaigrette for a healthy and flavor packed meal.
- Sweet Potato – Another fun spin on the meatless burger is a sweet potato patty, which is high in fiber and eye-healthy vitamin A. Similar to a black bean burger, combining binding ingredients such as eggs, black beans, or rice are the trick to making this into a patty. To make this more interesting, add a few of your favorite spices, such as chili powder, turmeric, or even cinnamon-if you want to go for a sweeter flavor profile.
- Bison – Have you ever had bison before? If you haven’t, it’s worth trying and what better way to try it than in the form of a burger! Bison can be treated the same way as ground beef and turkey; you can add in the same seasonings and top with whatever you’d life.
- Mushroom and Buckwheat – Another burger you can add to the menu is one I’m sure you never thought of. Combining mushrooms, buckwheat, onions and spices creates a delicious patty that satisfies your tastes buds. The buckwheat adds a nutty flavor that compliments the mushrooms perfectly. Top this burger with low-fat cheese and avocado and you’ll have everyone at the table loving it! Try my recipe here.
When you are celebrating National Hamburger Day, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone! If you aren’t ready to switch up the beef, start by changing up what you are topping it with. Maybe try a different type of cheese, add avocado or mushrooms. Be adventurous! The best part about burgers is that they go with pretty much anything!
Your Turn to Take Action: In what other creative ways can you make burgers at your next barbeque? Let me know in the comments below!