Think fruits are just fit for a snack? Think again! Fruits can easily be incorporated into your everyday breakfast, lunch and dinner. Below are some ideas on how to integrate fruit into all your meals. But remember, fruits are just a component of a well-balanced meal. Therefore, throughout the day be sure to get in your dose of fruits along with vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy.
- Add fruit to your favorite dry cereal. Try adding bananas, strawberries, or blueberries and even sliced fresh peaches.
- Include fruits in your hot cereal, like oatmeal. Try adding apples, bananas or nectarines.
- Mix fruits into low fat or fat free yogurt. Try raspberries, blueberries, cherries and melons.
- Mix fruits into your salad. Try adding strawberries, pears, apples or grapes.
- Prepare a fruit salad medley topped with low fat cottage cheese. Try mixing the sweet summer fruits of peaches, plums, nectarines, honeydew melon and cantaloupe.
- Puree fruits and top them over your favorite lean meat dishes. Try pureeing apricots or mango.
- Mix fruits into a chopped chicken salad. Try our very own recipe of the season Chicken Papaya Salad.
- Thinly slice fruits and make them part of a slaw. Try slicing apples, pineapples or pears.
- Include fruit in your next BBQ by adding them to kebabs. Try pineapple or peaches.