Did you know that October is National Apple Month? Make the best of this month and indulge in a juicy apple! With over 2,500 varieties grown in the US, its no wonder why they are one of the most popular fruits out there. There are countless numbers of apples to choose from that can easily satisfy anyone’s preference from a green, tarty granny smith, to a crisp, red gala and a sweet, mellow yellow golden delicious – everyone has a favorite!
This low-calorie succulent fruit is more than just a sweet treat; it’s a great source of nutrients that has many benefits to keep your body healthy!
- Dietary fiber– Apples contain a high amount of fiber that will help aid in digestion and help keep you fuller for longer, making it the perfect snack to eat between meals.
- Vitamin C– A good dose of vitamin C will keep your immune system healthy and intact, meanwhile aiding the absorption of iron in your body.
- Antioxidants– these help your body reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
Of course, with such a great variety of apples to choose from and their versatility, it allows you to use apples in numerous ways! You can incorporate them into many dishes.
Here are 5 yummy ideas that can help you get started with including apples in your meals:
- Breakfast staple– Slice up your apples and mix them into your oatmeal or yogurt. You can also make a fruit salad and/or top off your waffles with a few slices!
- On-the-go snack– For a quick snack, pack up slices in a plastic bag and eat as is or enjoy with a serving of peanut, nut or almond butter of your choice! *Tip: to keep your apples from browning, squeeze some lemon or lime juice after cutting!
- Sweet desserts– Bake apple slices until golden brown and sprinkle with cinnamon. You can also make your own apple pie at home and use different types of apples of your preference. Either option will make for the perfect dessert!
- Spice up your salad– Throw in some apples slices alongside mixed greens, feta cheese and your favorite vinaigrette for a delicious light salad.
- Cook with them!– Now that the holidays are approaching, you can even include apples in your traditional savory dishes. Check out my recipes for Whole Grain Stuffing with Apples and Roast Chicken with Apples and Leeks. These recipes are also perfect for any day!
Don’t forget, you can never go wrong with an apple a day, so enjoy it whenever you can, whatever way you like!
Your turn to take action:What are your favorite ways to eat an apple? Let me know in the comments below!