1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
6 Portabella mushrooms, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 chicken breasts, trimmed of fat, butterflied and pounded, cut into large bite size pieces (approximately 1 1/4 pounds)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed with cold water
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in large saute pan. Add sliced onions and cook until golden brown. Stir constantly to ensure even heating and to avoid burning the onions.
- Add sliced mushrooms, drizzle with salt, and cover pan to allow mushrooms to release their juices, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir. Cook an additional 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook another minute.
- Remove onions and mushrooms from pan and set aside.
- Roll chicken pieces in whole wheat flour and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Shake off excess flour.
- After onions and mushrooms are removed from pan, spray pan with nonstick spray. Add coated chicken and cook on medium-high for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Flip chicken pieces and cook an additional 3 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add chicken broth, chickpeas and rosemary and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add in reserved onions and mushrooms, and cover pan.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Total Fat: 8 gm
Saturated Fat: 1 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 2.5 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 gm
Cholesterol: 105 mg
Protein: 44 gm
Carbohydrate: 38 gm
Dietary Fiber : 10 gm
Sodium: 620 mg
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569