1 teaspoon olive oil
4 cups packed shredded white cabbage
8 ounces mushrooms cleaned and sliced
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
2 cloves of garlic minced (or 2 cubes of frozen minced garlic)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1 tablespoon roasted peanuts (optional)
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon of oil in saute pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Add sliced mushrooms and saute 3-5 minutes until they are golden brown and have leached their juices.
- Add shredded carrots and saute another 2 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms and carrots from pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil and add the shredded cabbage and salt.
- Toss the cabbage for 3-4 minutes until it appears somewhat translucent, wilted and golden.
- Add back the mushrooms and carrots and stir together.
- Add the minced garlic into pan and cook 30 seconds until fragrant.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk peanut butter, soy sauce, red wine vinegar and ginger. Mix until incorporated. The mixture will be slightly thick.
- Add peanut butter mixture to the stir fry in the pan. Toss everything together and cook for an additional minute.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with roasted peanuts (optional).
Serving Size: 1 cup
Total Fat: 9 gm
Saturated Fat: 1.5 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 4.5 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 10 gm
Carbohydrate: 19 gm
Dietary Fiber : 7 gm
Sodium: 960 mg
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569