Recipe by Charna Sheinfeld, Nutrition Intern
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1/3 cup low-fat or fat-free milk
1 Tablespoon + 3 Tablespoon plain fat-free Greek yogurt, separated
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 slices whole wheat bread
3 teaspoons light maple syrup
6-9 washed and sliced strawberries
- In a bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, milk, 1 Tablespoon Greek yogurt, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Working with one sandwich at a time, soak two pieces of whole wheat in the egg mixture for one minute on each side.
- Spray skillet with nonstick spray and heat on high heat till hot.
- Add both slices of bread and turn heat to medium.
- After 1-2 minutes flip both slices. While the bread cooks on the second slice, carefully spread 1 Tablespoon of Greek yogurt on each of the two slices.
- Drizzle the yogurt on both slices of bread with 1 teaspoon maple syrup.
- Add 2-3 strawberries worth of sliced strawberries on top of one of the slices of bread with Greek yogurt.
- Flip the other slice of bread on top of the other bread.
- Cook until golden brown, about one minute longer.
- Repeat steps 3-10 with the remaining two sandwiches.
- Top sandwich with extra sliced strawberries if desired. Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1 French toast sandwich
Total Fat: 4 gm
Saturated Fat: 1 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 1 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 gm
Cholesterol: 65 mg
Protein: 13 gm
Carbohydrate: 33 gm
Dietary Fiber : 4 gm
Sodium: 293 mg
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569