September is Fruits & Veggies- More Matters Month® and we are so excited. This month is perfect to help you focus on adding MORE fruits and veggies to your plates. Fruits & Veggies – More Matters® is a non-profit organization focusing on helping you eat more fruits and vegetables to better your health.
Did you know?
- 90% people (children and adults) do not eat the recommended amounts of fruits and veggies per day, as recommended by the Dietary Guidelines and MyPlate.
- The obesity rate of American Children has significantly increased in the last few years. Children’s life expectancy is now less than their parents.
- Your school or community might have a program to help increase the consumption of fruits and veggies to help decrease childhood obesity.
Why MORE fruits and veggies?
- Consuming fruits and veggies are part of a well-balanced lifestyle.
- They can help you lose or maintain weight.
- They are rich in essential vitamins and minerals.
- They are packed with fiber, which is great for colon health.
Tips to increase your fruit and vegetable intake:
Fruits and Veggies – More Matters® suggests filling half your plate at each meal, including snacks, with fruits and vegetables. All forms of fruit and vegetables such as fresh, frozen, canned, dried and 100% juice is included.
- Add fresh fruit to your breakfast cereal, oatmeal or yogurt
- When eating out, swap out mashed potatoes with fresh vegetables.
- For dessert, cut up fresh fruit and top with nonfat Greek yogurt.
- Always keep fresh fruit out on the counter as a reminder to choose as a healthy snack.
- Prep a large salad at the beginning of the week so you always have it ready to go.
- Add fruits, like dates or figs, instead of sugar to sweeten a recipe.
- Pre-portion your fruits and vegetables so you always have an on-the-go option.
- Add chopped veggies to your morning omelet.
- Make a large vegetable soup for the week.
Swaps you can make:
Looking for a crunch? Swap out chips for carrots and hummus.
Craving something sweet? Swap out cookies for an apple.
Need to quench your thirst? Cut up fresh berries or lemons and put them in your water bottle to sit overnight in the fridge. In the morning you’ll have your own twist on flavored water!
Want to add more fruits and vegetables, but don’t know where to start? Try these BRG Recipes:
Your turn to take action: What will you do to add more fruits and veggies onto your plate this month?