If you only think “Thanksgiving” when you hear “turkey”, think again! Did you know that June is National Turkey Lover’s Month?
National Turkey Lover’s Month was introduced by the National Turkey Federation. It takes place in June of each year, and is a way for consumers to learn the various ways in which turkey can be incorporated into mealtime. It also highlights the main health benefits of consuming turkey on a regular basis.
Turkey – A Perfect Poultry
Turkey actually contains more protein than an equally sized portion of chicken or beef. It packs a large nutritious punch when included in meals. A typical 3-ounce serving of cooked turkey without skin contains 26 grams of protein, 1 gram of fat, and only 120 calories!
As if this weren’t enough, turkey also provides:
- Iron – helps to prevent tiredness and fatigue
- Zinc – necessary for the body’s immune system
- Potassium – vital for heart, muscle, and digestive function
- Phosphorus – helps to build strong bones and teeth
- Vitamin B6 – aids in regulating mood and the body’s internal clock
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin) – assists with circulation, which helps to reduce inflammation
With all of these health benefits, this meat is the perfect addition to any menu!
This protein source is not only chock full of health benefits, but is extremely versatile for meals as well.
4 very different ways to enjoy turkey this month:
1. Salads – what better way to beat the heat than with a refreshing cold salad? The next time you throw together your favorite fresh veggies, toss in some cubed turkey breast for a protein punch!
2. Sandwiches – heading to the beach? There’s nothing better than a nice handheld lunch to enjoy while your toes are in the sand! Try combining some fresh sliced turkey with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and a light vinaigrette dressing the next time you want to catch some rays.
3. Grilled – what’s summer without barbecues? Forego the beef burgers at your next backyard gathering, and throw some turkey burgers on the grill instead. These can be made at home easily by combining ground turkey meat and your favorite seasonings, or even chopped vegetables! There’s no wrong way to prepare your ideal turkey burger, don’t be afraid to get creative!
4. A hot dish – try this fun recipe for Stuffed Zucchini with Turkey, Brown Rice and Edamame at home!
Your turn to take action: Think of creative ways to incorporate turkey into this week’s meals. Let me know what you come up with in the comments below!