Tips for incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your diet:
- At breakfast, top cereal, pancakes or oatmeal with fresh berries, bananas or peaches.
- Pre-washed and pre-cut fruits or vegetables makes for a great easy, fast and healthy snack.
- Incorporating more salads into your diet is a great way to get in a lot of vegetables.
- Make your plate colorful, incorporating three different vegetables with protein (i.e. spinach, carrots, and beets).
- Fruit salad or baked fruit is a great alternative for dessert.
Tips for incorporating more whole grains into your diet:
- Instead of white bread, white pasta, or white rice, try whole-wheat or whole-grain bread, whole wheat pasta, or brown rice as a healthier alternative.
- Use whole grains as side dishes such as pilafs, barley or quinoa.
- For breakfast, try whole grain cereals, whole wheat pancake and waffle mixes, or whole grain hot cereals.
- Whole grain crackers make for a good snack.
Choose alternatives to processed and red meats:
- Fresh roasted turkey or chicken makes a good substitute for red meat.
- Tofu can be used in almost any recipe as a substitute for meat.
- Choosing turkey sausage or turkey bacon with breakfast is a better option than beef sausage.
- Egg salad or hummus is a good substitute for lunch meats.