Did you know that July is National Berry Month? Berries are small in size, but can be used in a variety of ways. For those who have a sweet tooth, berries are also a great way to help satisfy it! Berries are at the peak of their season now, which is why it’s the perfect time to enjoy their taste and nutritional benefit!
The berry family includes strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Their nutrition content slightly varies among them, but a small handful of any berry packs a big punch! They contain antioxidants, which helps increase your immune function and protect against cancer and heart disease. They also help protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals.
Berries are also packed with the following:
- Fiber, which will help keep you feeling fuller for longer.
- Vitamin K, which plays a role in your bone health and body’s ability to clot.
- Vitamin C, which aids in keeping your immune system healthy as well as important in the production of collagen, a protein vital for skin and bone health.
- Manganese, which also plays a role in bone health and your skin’s integrity.
5 Berry Fun Ideas
Berries are so versatile! They are so easy to incorporate into your day!
- Top your cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt with a mix of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries.
- Freshen up your salad by tossing in sliced strawberries.
- Blend a mix of berries with Greek yogurt and peanut butter for a delicious morning smoothie filled with nutrients.
- Grill strawberries like a kebab for a delicious, gooey treat perfect to end a day of barbecuing.
- Keep it simple by just having some berries in a bowl for a snack!
A Berry New Idea
Another fun and popular way to enjoy berries is with an acai bowl (pronounced: ah-SIGH-ee)! Acai is the latest “super food” packed with antioxidants. These bowls can also be a great dairy free alternative as the “idea” is similar to a yogurt bowl. Acai bowls are basically frozen smoothie bowls topped with granola, coconut, and fresh fruit.
Making acai bowls are fun, creative and easy to make! Blend frozen acai packets, almond milk and ice, and top it with berries. Add nuts for protein and a crunch. You can also keep a look out for them in your local smoothie shops. These bowls can be a hearty breakfast, light snack or refreshing dessert!
It’s time to head on over to your grocery store or local farmer’s market to pick up some fresh berries!
Your Turn to Take Action:How will you celebrate National Berry Month? Let me know in the comments below!