Picture this: It’s a hot summer day and you are at the beach or park. All of a sudden you are thirsty and looking for something to keep you hydrated, while also quenching your thirst. What are you grabbing out of the cooler? Is it fruit juice? Soda? Sports drink? Store bought iced tea or lemonade? Iced coffee?
If you find the above scenario to be true for you, you’re not alone! We often grab sugary drinks to keep us hydrated in the summer, as they’ll also quench your thirst that water “just doesn’t”.
But, did you know that there are more options than just water to help you quench your thirst without all the added sugar and calories? You can even still enjoy your favorite drinks with simple modifications to make them even better!
6 Summer-Approved Beverages
- Infused Water– Amp up your water intake by adding in some flavor! For stronger flavor, infuse your water overnight in the fridge!
- Light and tangy taste – add in some citrus like lemon, lime or grapefruit slices
- Sweet kick – cut up some strawberries, blueberries and raspberries
- Added freshness – add in cucumber slices and a few mint leaves
- Iced Teas– Brew your favorite tea at home and let it cool in the fridge overnight. Drink as is or add in lemon slices for added flavor. If you’re looking for added sweetness, mix in a hint of honey!
- Iced Coffee– Did you know you can brew your own iced coffee at home? Just brew “regular” coffee and let it cool! Add in a splash of soy, almond or regular milk and some ice for the perfect iced coffee at home.
- Watermelon Water– Watermelon is the perfect summer fruit as it has such a high water content, which makes it so refreshing! Try dicing up some fresh watermelon and add it to a blender with water. Blend until you’re desired texture and viola! You now have a delicious and fun hydrating drink.
- Seltzer– If you’re looking for something that can satisfy you’re craving for “fizz”, then seltzer is perfect for you! The best part about seltzer is you can keep it simple and plain or buy flavored seltzer/add in your own fruits! It’s the perfect way to satisfy that craving.
- Fruit Smoothies– Need something a little more filling? Bring a homemade smoothie with you wherever you go! Add in berries, bananas, apples, mangoes, melons or virtually any fruit that you prefer and blend with Greek yogurt, milk or water and ice for a sweet smoothie. Check out my Berry Chia Smoothie for a quick and easy drink!
Last Minute Beverage Ideas
Are you worried you won’t have much time to make these beverages before you decide to have a day in the sun? Well you’re in luck! You can make a quick trip to your local grocery store and look for these alternatives for the perfect on-the-go drinks to take with you:
- Flavored or unflavored seltzer water
- Flavored water
- Pure coconut water
- Unsweetened iced tea or lemonade
Remember, you don’t always have to stick to water when you need a refreshing drink. You can still enjoy a nice beverage that is healthy and tastes good!
Your turn to take action: How will you keep hydrated this summer? Let me know in the comments below!