1 large onion, diced
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1/2 tablespoon oregano
1/2 tablespoon sage
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 teaspoon paprika
1 (6-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup uncooked quick cooking brown rice
2 teaspoons lemon juice
6 boneless chicken breasts, cut into thirds (approximately 1 1/2 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Saute onion, mushrooms and garlic in a non-stick skillet with olive oil until tender.
- Add spinach, oregano, sage, rosemary and paprika and cook 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, brown rice and lemon juice. Cook 5 minutes.
- Spread mixture in the bottom of a baking dish. Place chicken pieces on top.
- Cook covered for 30 minutes in preheated oven until rice and chicken are cooked throughly. Remove cover and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes.
Serving Size: 3 pieces of chicken with 1/2 cup rice mixture
Yield: 6 servings
Total Fat: 6 gm
Saturated Fat: 1 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 3 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 gm
Cholesterol: 85 mg
Protein: 30 gm
Carbohydrate: 32 gm
Dietary Fiber: 3 gm
Sodium: 200 mg
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C. • brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569