Recipe by Charna Sheinfeld, Nutrition Intern
Homemade Tomato Sauce:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons dry red wine
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch black pepper
Handful chopped fresh basil, or one frozen basil cube
2 large eggplants, cleaned, unpeeled
1 teaspoon salt
8 oz. low fat ricotta cheese
1/3 cup + 4 tablespoons shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch red pepper flakes
- Heat olive oil in a large (12 inch) skillet.
- Add chopped onion and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, wine, cherry tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and add basil.
- Leave sauce in the pan and set aside. This pan will be used to cook the rollups with the sauce.
Prepare eggplants while sauce is cooking.
- Slice each eggplant lengthwise into half inch thick plants. You should have 6 slices per eggplant, totaling 12 planks. Trim off the rounded surface off of the four end slices so it can lie flat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a lined rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer. Spray slices generously with nonstick spray and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Flip slices over and spray again with nonstick spray and sprinkle with the other 1/2 teaspoon salt. *Do not skip this salting step! This is what allows for the eggplants to release their moisture and roast without drying out.
- Roast eggplants until lightly browned 30-40 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through roasting. After removing from oven, allow eggplants to cool, just enough to be handled.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling: Mix ricotta, 1/3 cup mozzarella, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Rollups: With wider end of the eggplant slices facing you, evenly distribute the ricotta mixture on the first third section of each slice. Gently roll up each slice and place seam side down in the cooked tomato sauce that was set aside in the pan.
- Place plan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to low. Cook rollups, covered for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle 4 tablespoons shredded mozzarella over the tops of the rollups.
- Cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve, along with tomato sauce in pan.
Serving Size: 2 rollups
Yield: 6 servings
Total Fat: 6 gm
Saturated Fat: 2.5 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Protein: 10 gm
Carbohydrate: 21 gm
Dietary Fiber: 7 gm
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569