2 shallots, finely diced
6-8 white button mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup low fat or fat free milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Spray a pan with non-stick spray. Add diced shallots and a dash of salt. Saute 3-4 minutes stirring every so often to ensure even heating.
- Add sliced mushrooms. Cover pan and cook 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Uncover once or twice in between and stir to ensure even heating.
- Add minced garlic and allow to heat for 30 seconds. Incorporate with the shallots and mushrooms.
- Remove shallots and mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add oats, milk, water and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the oatmeal reaches your desired consistency.
- Add the cooked shallots and mushrooms, rosemary and pepper to taste.
- Optional: garnish with parsley and low fat feta cheese.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Total Fat: 1.5 gm
Saturated Fat: 0 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 0 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 5 gm
Carbohydrate: 17 gm
Dietary Fiber : 2 gm
Sodium: 310 mg
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569