4 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed, reserved and diced, caps gently scrubbed clean
1 medium red pepper, sliced thinly
1 teaspoon salt
10 oz. frozen spinach
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tablespoons shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Place mushroom caps facing upward and spray with nonstick spray, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place in oven and roast for 5 minutes.
- Flip mushrooms. Spray underside with nonstick spray and sprinkle with another 1/4 teaspoon salt. Roast another 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile defrost spinach in microwave according to package instructions. Place in fine mesh strainer and drain out any excess liquid.
- In a small pan, heat olive oil and add diced onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add diced reserved stems and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. .
- Add spinach to onion mixture in pan and add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook an additional minute.
- After removing the roasted caps from the oven, evenly distribute the spinach mixture among the four mushrooms.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cheese on top of each mushroom towards the middle of the spinach stuffing.
- Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly golden on top.
Serving Size: 1 stuffed mushroom
Total Fat: 3.0 gm
Saturated Fat: 1 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 1 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 gm
Cholesterol: less than 5 mg
Protein: 6 gm
Carbohydrate: 9 gm
Dietary Fiber : 4 gm
Sodium: 680 mg
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569