Recipe by Charna Sheinfeld, Nutrition Intern
2 medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled, cleaned, sliced in half lengthwise
4 cups packed fresh spinach
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons of plain, non-fat greek yogurt
4 tablespoons of low-fat, shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bake halved sweet potatoes for 45 minutes to one hour until soft.
- Meanwhile, saute spinach in a pan sprayed with nonstick pray for 2-3 minutes, tossing constantly until all the spinach is wilted. Add the salt and minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- When potatoes are soft, remove from the oven and scoop out most of the flesh.
- Mix the flesh of the sweet potato with the sauteed spinach.
- Add Greek yogurt and mix.
- Spoon the spinach/sweet potato filling mixture into the four sweet potato halves.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese on top of each sweet potato half.
- Bake for another 8-10 minutes until cheese on top is browned and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1/2 potato
Yield: 4 servings
Total Fat: 1 gm
Saturated Fat: 1 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 0 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 gm
Cholesterol: <5 mg
Protein: 4 gm
Carbohydrate: 15 gm
Dietary Fiber: 3 gm
Sodium: 390 mg
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569