Vegetable Curry Sauce over Millet
1 cup dry millet
1 onion, diced
2 colored peppers (orange, red, or yellow), diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 summer squash or zucchini, cut into chunks
1 small jalapeño pepper, minced
4 button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup canned chick peas, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup water, divided
- Cook millet accordingly to package instructions.
- Meanwhile prepare a pan with non stick cooking spray and 1-2 teaspoons of water, sauté onion for 3-4 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Add peppers, squash, jalapeño, and mushrooms to pan and continue to sauté for 7-9 minutes on medium-low heat until vegetables as mostly cooked through.
- Stir in chick peas.
- Stir in garlic. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add curry powder and chili powder, stirring well.
- Raise heat to high. Pour in coconut milk and water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer vegetables for 7-8 minutes. Stir halfway through.
- Serve the vegetable curry sauce over the cooked millet.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup millet with 1/2 cup vegetable curry sauce
Total Fat: 8 gm
Saturated Fat: 5 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 1 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 8 gm
Carbohydrate: 46 gm
Dietary Fiber : 8 gm
Sodium: 55 mg
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569