It’s time to say I LOVE YOU the healthy way this Valentine’s Day! Around Valentine’s Day, you may feel a lot of pressure to spoil the significant people in your life with gifts, chocolates and an elaborate meal. Why not treat you and your sweetheart to a gift that’s not focused on food?
Here are 6 ideas for a non-food gift for Valentine’s Day:
- Handmade Cards: Get scissors, paper and markers and create your own Valentine’s Day card. Fill the card with a special note or poem and let your creativity shine!
- Together Time: Spend some quality time together and plan a fun activity for the two of you. Look into a weekend getaway or plan a day trip to go skiing or tubing.
- Be a Team: Exercise together! Get outside and take a walk, run or bike ride together. Being active together allows you to spend time with each other while getting in a great, healthy workout.
- Relax Together: Give the gift of wellness. Find a spa in your area and purchase couples massage for you and your loved one to experience together.
- Help Others: Volunteer this Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart and give back. Go to a soup kitchen, food pantry or make a donation of old clothes you no longer wear. Giving back can be a feel good activity for the two of you.
- Love yourself: Attend a yoga class, a trip to the spa, or a day of rest at home as a great way to de-stress. Use this time to reflect on what is most important in your life, especially loving yourself.
For all of you chocolate lovers, this month is also National Chocolate Month and I know the temptation that comes around when chocolate is involved. But, have no fear! I am here to give you some healthy ways to incorporate chocolate into your life.
Dark chocolate, with at least 70% cacao listed as the first ingredient is considered the healthiest option and you can combine it with some of your favorite foods:
- Add a piece or two to your granola or yogurt.
- Grate some into your oatmeal for breakfast.
- Blend the chocolate into a smoothie for a nutritious snack or meal.
- Dip fresh fruits into the melted chocolate such as chocolate covered bananas.
- Mix it into frozen banana ice cream.
Do you still want to give your valentine something sweet? Try this easy and delicious avocado mousse recipe:
- 2 large avocados
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- In a food processor or blender, combine avocado, almond milk, cocoa powder and honey until a thick pudding is formed.
- Place in fridge covered to chill for about 10-15min and top with fresh fruit.
This Valentine’s Day, focus on being mindful while still treating you and your sweetheart.
Your Turn to Take Action: What will you do for your valentine this Valentine’s Day? Let me know in the comments below!