1 large onion, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium carrots, peeled
2 parsnips, peeled
2 medium zucchini, unpeeled
2 medium yellow squash, unpeeled
1 small butternut squash, peeled
1 large sweet potato, peeled
7 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded cabbage
3/4 cup green beans, cut
1/3 cup packed fresh parsley
1/3 cup packed fresh dill
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup cooked quinoa
- Heat oil in large saucepan till shimmering. Add minced onion and a dash of salt. Saute until golden brown, stirring every few minutes.
- While the onion is sauteing, cube the vegetables into bite size chunks.
- Once onion is golden brown, add minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add all vegetables except cabbage and green beans. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Saute vegetables for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add water or broth and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add shredded cabbage. Lower flame and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add cut green beans and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Put fresh parsley and dill in a garni bag. Add garni bag, dried rosemary and black pepper to pot. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the soup right before serving.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Total Fat: 1.5m
Saturated Fat: 0 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 0.5 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 3 gm
Carbohydrate: 24 gm
Dietary Fiber : 5 gm
Sodium: 360 mg*
*Nutritional analysis done with vegetable broth. Sodium content will be lower if you use water and/or eliminate salt in the recipe.
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569