Few things say summer more than a cool and delicious ice cream cone! With an endless array of flavors, textures, and ways to enjoy it, ice cream is the perfect summer treat. From children to adults, it can always bring a smile to your face! But for some, eating ice cream can be followed by feelings of guilt because it doesn’t fit perfectly into their healthy lifestyle.
Have you been avoiding ice cream because you have begun leading a healthier lifestyle and are worried about indulging? There is no reason to fear it! I have you covered on everything that you need to know to continue to enjoy that delicious treat all summer long, guilt-free!
You may have heard that toppings can really start to add up. From hot fudge to whip cream, these delicious toppings can bring out the flavor of your favorite cone, but can also add extra calories and fat. This doesn’t mean you need to go ditching the toppings for the sake of better health. Try out these toppings that are not only delicious, but also pack a nutrient punch!
- Sliced Berries. Add in fresh strawberries or a mixed berry medley of blueberries and blackberries to your favorite ice cream. Not only will this add a delicious and refreshing taste to your cone or cup, but it will add a healthy dose of Vitamin C to your favorite treat!
- Mixed Nuts. Swap the peanut butter sauce for a handful of nuts such as walnuts, almonds or macadamia. This add-in will provide you with protein, as well as vital nutrients such as magnesium to help round out your diet.
- Chia and Flaxseeds. These seeds will add a pleasant crunch to your cone, similar to sprinkles. They are also packed with fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids, which aide in healthy digestion and heart health!
- Dark Chocolate. Still looking for a way to satisfy your chocolate craving? Add a sprinkle of dark chocolate shavings to the top of your sundae. This will satisfy your chocolate craving, while also giving you an antioxidant boost!
The key is to get creative and explore your options.
Here are 3 tips to keep in mind the next time you head to the ice cream parlor:
1. Focus on smaller servings. The small cup or cone is often bigger than you might think!
2. Choose natural toppings, such as nuts and fruits. Try to explore any whole food options they may have!
3. Eat slowly and mindfully. It’s okay to not finish your ice cream! Just store it in the freezer for another night.
Fun, Homemade Ice Cream
A fun and creative way to enjoy your favorite desert is to make it yourself! Not only will this allow you to know exactly what all of the ingredients are in the ice cream, but it can also be such an fun experience for you to enjoy with loved ones!
Banana Ice Cream
- Banana’s smooth texture and low water content allow it to become a tasty, frozen blend. All you need to do is chop up bananas and freeze them for a few hours. Then put them in the blender with some almond milk and unsweetened cocoa powder for a delicious treat! Try adding peanut butter for a nutty flavor.
Avocado Ice Cream
- The recipe for avocado ice cream takes longer than the banana ice cream so you will have to prepare in advance. In a blender, mix three avocados, 1½ cups of milk and ½ cup of sugar. When it’s blended, let the mixture sit in an airtight container in the freezer for 6 hours. Enjoy!
Banana Chocolate Ice Cream Pops
- This is a fun and healthy version of your favorite chocolate ice cream pops. Check out my recipe here.
The key is to get creative and try adding some new ingredients to get the desired flavor you are looking for!
Your turn to take action: What’s your favorite ice cream? Let me know in the comments below!