Did you know that National Parfait Day was November 25th? Parfait means “perfect” in French and there is no better way to celebrate the day than with a perfect parfait.
A French parfait is actually a way to make ice cream without using an ice cream machine. A base of sugar syrup, egg, cream (and sometimes a bit of liqueur) is mixed together to allow for enough fat, sugar, alcohol, and air to interfere with the formation of water crystals. It needs to be stirred every once in a while to make sure it freezes evenly and, voila, you have the perfect parfait!
True French parfaits are a bit different than the U.S. parfaits you might be used to. In the U.S., we typically serve our parfaits in a layered style with sweet ingredients, such as yogurt, ice cream, or pudding along with fruit layered in a clear, tall specially designed parfait glass.
Traditionally served as a dessert, parfaits have now made their way into other meals. Yogurt layered with fruit and topped with granola is a popular breakfast item that you can find almost anywhere breakfast is served. Keep these ingredients in mind when thinking of your next parfait.
- Base. Choose what you’d like the bulk of your parfait to be. Examples: Greek yogurt, frozen yogurt, cottage cheese, beans.
- Mixings. This is where you can be as creative as you’d like! Add fruits, salsa, vegetables, dark chocolate, coconut, depending on what kind of parfait you are making!
- Toppings. Add nuts, sprinkle with cinnamon or pumpkin spice, drizzle honey or add a spoonful of peanut butter.
Here are 5 Perfect Parfaits for Any Meal
- Lemon Greek yogurt, blueberries and a drizzle of honey for a delicious snack.
- Chocolate frozen yogurt, bananas and a tablespoon of peanut butter for the most perfect dessert!
- Refried beans and salsa topped with a dab of sour cream or sliced avocado for a fun twist on a parfait.
- Vanilla Greek yogurt and strawberries, sprinkled with pumpkin for a delicious fall treat.
- Cottage cheese, apple chunks and a sprinkle of cinnamon for a filling breakfast or snack.
However you decide to layer it, parfaits are a fun and easy way to get nutrients. The best part is they’re easy to prepare. Make them the day before and grab-n-go on your way out in the morning… just be sure to pack a spoon!
Your Turn To Take Action: How do you like to layer your parfaits? Let me know in the comments below!