Today is National Eat a Peach Day and who doesn’t love a juicy, delicious peach? I happen to love them! They make the perfect on-the-go healthy snack that keeps you full in between meals.
Did you know that there are many varieties of peaches? You may think of a peach with an orange interior and a peachy color exterior, but there are also white and Saturn peaches. White and Saturn peaches both have a pale yellow/white interior, but the Saturn peach is more spherical and looks like a doughnut (which is why its also known as the doughnut peach).
One medium peach contains 50 calories, 2 grams of fiber, and 1 gram of protein.
Peaches are rich sources of:
- Fiber, which will help keep you fuller for longer.
- Vitamin C, which has antioxidant properties.
- Potassium, which helps regulate fluid in your body, heart rate and blood pressure
- Iron, which is important for your red blood cell formation.
Here are some tips to help you pick the perfect peach when you’re in the grocery store:
- Look for a peach rich in color and that may still have a slight whitish “bloom” on its surface, indicating freshness.
- Avoid picking a peach with excessive softness.
- Ripe peaches yield to gentle pressure and have a sweet aroma.
- Make sure there is no green around the stem, which would mean the peach is not fully ripe.
- If you choose to buy canned peaches, choose ones that are canned in natural fruit syrup.
Peaches are in season until October, but the best time to buy them is in the summer.
Peaches taste delicious on their own, but they can also be cooked and added to meals or desserts.
- Add diced peaches to your next smoothie with strawberries and bananas.
- Chop a peach and add it on top of a salad and finish it off with balsamic vinegar.
- Mix chopped peaches into your favorite salsa for a fruity kick.
- Pair sliced peaches and cottage cheese pair well together as a mid-morning snack.
- Grill peaches by cutting them in half, removing the pit and grilling until it has char marks. Mix with Greek yogurt for a refreshing treat.
- Add sliced peaches to your morning oatmeal.
- Bake sliced peaches with a drizzle of honey and cinnamon for a quick and healthy dessert.
If the fuzzy skin of a peach bothers you, there is still a way for you to enjoy them!! Nectarines are peaches with smooth skins and are just as juicy.
Your Turn To Take Action: What’s your favorite way to eat a peach? Let me know in the comments below.