Recipe by Charna Sheinfeld, Nutrition Intern
2 small eggplants, unpeeled, and chopped into 1 inch cubes (approx. 2 lbs.)
1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes*
1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
Black pepper to taste
*Note: you can use cherry tomatoes if you can’t get the heirloom. The various heirloom tomatoes add color and flavor.
- Place eggplant pieces in a colander and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, tossing to coat evenly. Let sit for 30-45 minutes, tossing once after 20 minutes. Once beads form on the surface of the eggplant, and some liquid drained out, remove and place on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spread the eggplant on a baking sheet together with the cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Roast eggplant and tomatoes for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic cloves, and black pepper together and toss over eggplant and tomatoes. Serve warm or room temperature.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Yield: 16 servings
Total Fat: 2 gm
Saturated Fat: 0 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 0 gm
Carbohydrate: 4 gm
Dietary Fiber: 2 gm
Sodium: 220 mg
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569