1 16-oz. loaf whole grain bread, cubed (stale or fresh)
2 cups onions, diced
2 cups celery, diced
2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
1 Granny Smith apple, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In using fresh bread, place the cubed bread on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until slightly toasted. If you are using stale bread you can skip this step.
- Meanwhile, place the onions, celery, low-sodium broth, thyme and sage in a saucepan. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is reduced by half.
- Place the toasted bread and chopped apples in a large bowl. Pour the onion mixture over the bread. Toss to mix.
- Coat baking dish with cooking spray and spread stuffing mixture. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Yield: 10 servings
Total Fat: 2.5 gm
Saturated Fat: 0 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: .5 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 5 gm
Carbohydrate: 30 gm
Dietary Fiber: 4 gm
Sodium: 190 mg
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569