Recipe by Charna Sheinfeld, Nutrition Intern
1 8 oz. package button mushrooms, chopped very fine*
1 shallot, minced, small
1/3 cup dry buckwheat
2 teaspoon soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon olive oil
*The best way to do this is with a few quick pulses in the food processor to get a very fine dice.
- Cook buckwheat according to package instructions.
- In a skillet, sprayed with non-stick spray, saute finely chopped mushrooms and minced shallot until softened, stirring occasionally, about five minutes.
- Allow to cool. Add sauteed mushrooms and onions to cooked buckwheat.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for olive oil and mix well.
- In the same skillet used to saute the mushrooms and onions, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Divide buckwheat mixture into four equal parts.
- Form four patties, about 1 inch thick.
- Brown each side on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve warm on a whole wheat burger or lettuce, along with vegetables of your choosing.
Serving Size: 1 burgers
Yield: 4 servings
Total Fat: 3 gm
Saturated Fat: .5 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: .5 gm
Cholesterol: 45 mg
Protein: 6 gm
Carbohydrate: 17 gm
Dietary Fiber: 3 gm
Sodium: 190 mg
Bonnie R. Giller, MS, RD, CDN, CDE • BRG Dietetics & Nutrition, P.C.
brghealth.com • (516) 486-4569